Wugong - Qigong
Meditation - Chan Philosophy
SHAOLIN CHAN CITY
St. Louis, MO.
tel.: (314) 383-3918
Copyright © 2009-2010 Shaolin Chan City, LLC. All rights reserved.
Shaolin Chan City ||| News
- December: Shaolin Chan City has begun accepting students into a new youth training program, specially designed for young students to enter and train in Traditional Shaolin Wugong, Qigong, Meditation, & Chan Philosophy.
- November: Two important activities took place at the Shaolin Monastery during the month of November- Assembling in the Pagoda Forest (graveyard for former prestigious monks) Shaolin monks held a memorial to honor the venerated Shaolin masters and ancestors. November was also the beginning of the Winter Chan Session, a 49 day meditation retreat. Following a trip to Australia where he led seminars and conferences on Shaolin Culture, Ven. Shi Deyang returned to the monastery to participate in these events.
- October: The Shaolin Wushu Festival took place in China during the final week in October. The event was composed of demonstrations, celebrations, and cultural activities carried out at the Shaolin Monastery, the neighboring city Dengfeng, and the capital city of Zhengzhou. Ven. Shi Deyang attended the main ceremonies and conferences.
- October: From October 16 to 20 the 4th Annual World Traditional Wushu Championships was held in Shiyan (China) with thousands of competitors from over 80 countries worldwide. An expert student from the Italian branch of Wuseng Houbeidui, Manuele Trovò, was selected to represent Italy in the competition. Accomplishing the unimaginable, Manuele took home the Gold as World Champion in traditional empty hand sets competing with Luohanquan, only in the following days to do it again with traditional weapon sets. He competed with Pudao and once again wore Gold as World Champion! Congratulations are sent to him from Ven. Shi Deyang, his masters and coaches in China and Italy, as well as Shaolin family around the world.
SCC Founder & Director, Le Fujun, will continue to lead students on such trips to Shaolin annually.
- September: Shaolin Chan City took its first annual Return to Shaolin Monastery study trip during the month of September this year. The trip consisted of a visit to the Shaolin Monastery led by Ven. Shi Deyang who is a high monk who has lived inside the Monastery in the same room since the early '80s. The rest of the trip was completely dedicated to grueling training in the Shaolin Monastery Warrior Monks Reserve Force, a school established by Ven. Shi Deyang, serving as the reserve training base for the Monastery.
If you would like to take part in a future trip. Please contact SCC Staff at (314) 383-3918 or via email
- August 14th: In preparation for the Return to Shaolin Monastery 2010 study trip in September, and following the success of the last event, SCC organized another free Shaolin Monastery Cultural Immersion Program. This event gives participants the opportunity to immerse themselves in the Shaolin Culture following the Shaolin Warrior Monks' daily training schedule from 6:00am to 7:30pm. Participants joined from throughout Missouri and across the United States, traveling from as far as Massachusetts for this unique opportunity. || more photos
- August 1st: The Shaolin Monastery was added to the United Nation's list of World Heritage Sites. The UN Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) named the historical monuments near Dengfeng city, including the Shaolin Monastery. Applications for the Unesco designation had been submitted for nine years. This is a great achievement to be celebrated as it insures the protection of the Monastery and surrounding sites, and will inevitably boost tourism, giving more people an opportunity to be introduced to Shaolin Culture.
- June 5th: SCC held it's first Shaolin Monastery Cultural Immersion Program which took place in Forest Park. Participants followed the daily schedule of the Shaolin Warrior Monks in this intensive training course, with training sessions lasting the entire day from 6:00am to 7:30pm.
- April 27th: SCC Founder & Director, Le Fujun, was invited to give a talk at the University of Missouri - St. Louis on the topic; "What is Chan?" and the Chan/Wugong Culture of Shaolin Monastery. Following the talk given to students in the Chinese Culture Program at the University, Le Fujun opened for Questions & Answers and closed the session teaching a few simple self-defense techniques of Shaolin Qinna (Ch'in-na, joint-locking).
- April 2010: Ven. Shi Deyang (SCC Technical & Spiritual Guide) made his first trip to Latin America upon accepting a special invitation from the school Shaolin Quanfa Guan- Argentina to conduct seminars on Traditional Shaolin Wugong and Chan Philosophy. He spent a couple weeks teaching and attending conferences on Shaolin Culture in Argentina before returning home to Shaolin Monastery in China at the end of the month. Ven. Shi Deyang, his disciples and students around the world, and we here at Shaolin Chan City, wish great fortune upon the school and support them in their effort to spread Traditional Shaolin Culture to the people of South America.